Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:16 PM
The Shelly Company (part of Oldcastle Inc.) is a vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mix concrete and paving services throughout the state of Ohio. Our commitment to quality drives us to use the most modern, efficient and environmentally friendly technology in our industry. The Shelly Company is known throughout the industry for innovation, quality and for our commitment to safety.
A Construction Management Intern will be given the opportunity to work with a vertically integrated company and experience multiple aspects of construction management as well as other lines of business.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Heavy construction interns in construction management will spend the bulk of his/her time focusing on construction activities that include:
- Project management (public and private jobs).
? Learn how to find, bid and build heavy construction projects.
? Work with current bidding software.
? Set up contracts and sub contracts.
? Work with estimators.
? Work with project managers and construction crew foreman.
- Asphalt plant operations
? Spend time working with Plant Operators running asphalt plants.
? Work with yard crew and loader operator.
? Learn how to run scales.
? Assist with general maintenance of the plant.
- Construction crews
? Working on a construction crew and/or prep crew.
? Spend time with foreman learning how to prepare for the job and set up job.
? Learn about construction equipment : various uses and skills required.
- Equipment and shops
- Business management
? Work with Operations Manager/accounting on monthly projections.
? Understand job cost.
? Review workload.
? Understand basics with P and L.
? Review financial statements.
? Union CBA's : talent management.
- Aggregate manufacturing and sales
? Spend time working in an aggregate location.
? Learn about various materials available in quarries and pits.
? Understand basic operations and logistics.
? Learn about customer base (internal and external).
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co:workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Manual of Safety Practices and Procedures.
- Strict adherence to Shelly Company policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Book of Policies.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co:workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Shelly Company employees. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and Experience
Working towards a Bachelor's or Associate's degree in Construction Management or Operations Management from a college or technical school; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be proficient with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fract
• Location: Cleveland, twinsburg
• Post ID: 56681502 cleveland